Well I went and did it again. I got involved in yet another interactive fan fiction story. This time, my character was paired with Richie (much more to my liking). That story wrapped in early November 2008, and I had been asked to assemble the "story posts", that is, the posts that tell Richie and Jen's story, in one place for people to read.

So I'm doing it.

I'm having to add some filler as I go, as there were lengthy pauses between the verbose posts I made, but I'm trying to keep the flow of the story going.

The Richie/Jen story is only half of the fan fic project. The other half was a Jon/T story. That is not explored here at all. In fact, very little mention is made. Just enough so it isn't a surprise when T shows up at various points.

If anything is confusing, please let me know. I've been living this character for the better part of the last eight months, and her memories are mine. I forget, sometimes, that you all can't see into my head.

I hope you enjoy the story. It starts here.

~ Hath

Lunch and Lawsuits

Monday, January 4, 2010
Thanks, Queenie, for writing the lunch bit of this installment

Stephanie stood, looking at herself in the mirror, she had found a great red slip of a sundress and the new strapless bra helped it to look fantastic. Her chocolate brown curls were twisted loosely up and pinned with her new crystal adorned hairpins, leaving her long graceful neck exposed. She smiled, he asked for it.

Stephanie had come to California to visit her new friends from the board, Denise and Lucia. Lucia, originally from Chicago, moved out to be with her new beau, Jeff and Denise had hired her as her assistant. The girls had become quite friendly on the board so here she was, on vacation in California.

When Richie had discovered that Stephanie was going to be in California while he was home, he had asked Hath for her number so they could get together. Stephanie hadn’t minded, after all she had met him already flirted with him, and she was fairly sure she could handle him face to face.

Okay, spray of Freesia, the body mist floated in the air and settled all around her. Lip gloss. Stephanie chuckled; she had found a tube of bubblegum lip gloss, complete with the roller ball applicator, at her local Walmart. It took her back to her junior high days when all she was allowed to wear was lip gloss, but Richie had said bubblegum, so bubblegum he was getting. She slicked it on and nearly shuddered, no wonder I stopped wearing this gunk. Shoes. She slid her feet into strappy low-heeled sandals, perfect for walking in. She grabbed her purse and was off.

She walked up Ventura toward the restaurant. They were meeting at Mexicali Cocina. It was a beautiful sunny day and she hoped they would be able to sit outside. As she neared the restaurant she slowed and scanned the area for Richie. She spotted him sitting at one of the outside tables, sipping on a glass of water. She stopped for a minute and just looked at him; damn Hath is one lucky beyotch. He had on a dark blue button down and of course half the buttons were undone and she was guessing jeans, but she couldn’t tell as he was sitting down.

Before she got close enough for him to notice her, Stephanie took out her small mirror, slicked on a touch more lip gloss and took a breath. Here we go.

Richie noticed her as she walked up. Damn, Hath sure has some beautiful friends. He had to chuckle, she had worn her hair up. He wondered for a moment why someone as lovely as she was didn’t have a man in her life. Her ex must have been a real prize.

Stephanie walked up to the hostess but before she could lead her to the table, Richie stood and the hostess let her go. “Hello darlin’.” He took her hand, tugging her close for a kiss. “You look lovely.” He licked his lips, “bubble gum?” She nodded, “you said that’s what you wanted.” He laughed, “that I did darlin’.”

They settled in for a lovely lunch, punctuated with lots of smiles and laughter. By dinner time, there were pictures all over the tabloids about Richie and his new lover.


Jennifer knew that the lunch between Stephanie and Richie was innocent. She knew that the photos that accompanied the item were taken out of context. And she thought it was funny that Krissy and her other girlfriends would think she’d be upset over the “Richie and the Strange Brunette”. Please. But she loved them for being indignant on her behalf.

What she didn’t find funny was the TMZ item that had brought up her decade-old, long resolved problem with the SEC....or being called into the COO’s office when she got into work that morning.

“What’s up, Howard?” Howard wasn’t smiling; Howard always smiled. Jennifer’s heart sunk. “What’s happened?”

Howard spoke quietly. “Shut the door, Jennifer.” After Jennifer complied, he motioned for her to sit. She did.

“You’re making me extremely nervous,” Jennifer said. “Please, what’s happened?”

“Tell me about the SEC investigation.”

“What? That’s ancient history.” Jennifer was confused. “Why bring this up now?”

Howard let out a heavy sigh. “You know that we monitor publicity on certain individuals in the company, well, because of the amount of money you support, and the information you have access to, you’re on the list. There was this article…”

“Oh my GOD, you’re talking about that idiotic TMZ thing?” Howard said nothing. Jennifer shook her head. “Look, I know you know about the investigation because I fully disclosed everything when I was going through the interview process. I have been nothing but up-front and honest with you.”

Howard smiled; though it didn’t reach his eyes. “Please, give me a little more credit than to trust a rag like TMZ,” he said. “But, some enterprising reporter over at the Globe ran with it, and dug up the old information and did a ‘then and now’ kind of thing. I’ve got to say,” Howard said, “that they made quite a few people nervous.”

“People? You mean legal and compliance?” Howard nodded. Jennifer’s color started to get high, and she had to concentrate on keeping her voice level. “Howard, I have been nothing but loyal to you, this division, and this company for more than five years. I have done nothing that even hints of scandal, and this episode from more than ten years ago was cleared by the SEC. The Boston SecChief to be exact.” She leveled a stare at Howard. “I will not let this company slander my name.”

Howard held up his hands. “Jennifer, you have to understand, I have to ask. I know you haven’t done anything here that wasn’t on the up-and-up. I would be remiss if I didn’t talk to you about this – we are named in the paper.”

Jennifer sighed. She was prepared for the personal bashing about her looks or her fashion sense or whatever as being tied to Richie, but she never expected another attack on her professionalism and integrity. “Howard, and you have to understand. I will not stand idly by. Tell me right now, are you seeking to sever our relationship over a decade-old rumor?”

Howard was thoughtful for a moment. “No. But to be clear, Legal is going to be watching you.”

Jennifer stood with as much dignity as she could muster. “You should have my decision by the end of the day, whether I can continue to work for a company that does not trust in the loyalty of its employees.” She was shaking when she left his office. When she got to her desk, it was 9:00. Way too early to call Richie, she thought, but tough.

“’Lo?” A deep sleepy voice answered the phone, and Jennifer had a mental image of him laying in bed, with just a sheet across his hips for modesty.

“Baby, it’s me. Sorry it’s early, but I have to talk to you.”

Richie sat up. “Jennifer, darlin’, what’s wrong?” He shook his head to get the sleep fog to dissipate.

“Did you see the rags this morning? They captured your little tête-à-tête with Stephanie yesterday.”

“Jennifer, you know that….” Richie started to talk, but Jennifer interrupted.

“Baby, I know. I was just teasing. I think it’s hysterical. What isn’t hysterical is that they mentioned the SEC bullshit from the 90’s, the local papers here picked it up and ran a ‘where is she now’ piece, and I just left my COO’s office after being told that I’m now being watched.”

“Jesus, Jen, I’m sorry.” Richie ran a hand through his hair. “What are you going to do?”

Jennifer sighed and left her desk, heading for an empty conference room. “I don’t know. This is pissing me off. I’ve done nothing wrong, and am being treated, by a man who I’ve worked with for more than five years, as a suspicious person. I don’t need that shit.”

Richie swung his legs over the edge of the bed. “Baby, I can’t believe they honestly believe any of that shit. They’re just being careful.”

“You’re taking their side?” Jennifer was incredulous.

“Not taking their side, just – I see their point. They have to be careful.”

“Jesus.” Jennifer paced the small conference room as best she could, pushing her hand through her hair as she stalked.

“Jennifer,” Richie said.

“Quiet for a minute, I’m thinking.” Jennifer was actually livid. It wasn’t his fault that this happened. She knew that. But she still had an irrational urge to lash out at him. “Alright, I just wanted to let you know what was going on, and that I’m pissed. I have to decide what to do now. Damn it. Sorry I woke you.”

“Please, don’t be. You know you can call me anytime.” There was no answer from the other end. Richie said, “You know I love you, right?”

Jennifer sighed. “I know; I love you too. I guess I’ll talk to you later. Bye.” She hung up before Richie could say anything else.

1 comments:

rutpop said...

She has a right to be pissed but I'm sure her company has to follow certain policies and procedures too. Hey who knows, this just might be the excuse she needed to get out of there so her and Richie can be together.
Can I just say Hath what a nice treat it is to come home from work after a crappy Monday and have this lovely escape waiting for me. Thanks Girl, you made my day!!

(c) 2008 by TheGoddessHathor

This is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post this or any other work found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.