Well I went and did it again. I got involved in yet another interactive fan fiction story. This time, my character was paired with Richie (much more to my liking). That story wrapped in early November 2008, and I had been asked to assemble the "story posts", that is, the posts that tell Richie and Jen's story, in one place for people to read.

So I'm doing it.

I'm having to add some filler as I go, as there were lengthy pauses between the verbose posts I made, but I'm trying to keep the flow of the story going.

The Richie/Jen story is only half of the fan fic project. The other half was a Jon/T story. That is not explored here at all. In fact, very little mention is made. Just enough so it isn't a surprise when T shows up at various points.

If anything is confusing, please let me know. I've been living this character for the better part of the last eight months, and her memories are mine. I forget, sometimes, that you all can't see into my head.

I hope you enjoy the story. It starts here.

~ Hath

Getting to LA

Monday, April 12, 2010
After several days of utterly slothful relaxation, Jon and Tiff were on their way back to Texas. They had gotten word that they were letting people back into their homes, and Tiffany wanted to go back and assess the damage. When they were gone, Richie was reluctantly packing his belongings. “I wish I didn’t have to go, but...”

“I know,” Jennifer said, hugging him. “You have Ava to think about. I completely understand.”

“This has just been so perfect, these last days. Things have been so good between us. I guess I hate to break the spell, ya know?” He looked like he was going to ask something else, but just turned back to his bag.

“What, Rich? You looked like you were going to say something there. What is it?”

“Nothing, I was just going to ask if you wanted to come back with me, but I know you’ve taken an insane amount of time off from work and...”

“Let me worry about that,” Jen said. “I would love to come home with you.”

“Really?” He put his arms around Jen’s waist.

“Absolutely. Let me make a few calls.”

After making the necessary arrangements, which took longer than she had hoped, Jen packed a bag. “How long should I pack for?”

“How long can you stay?”

She didn’t want to get into the work arrangement with Richie; she basically had to take a leave of absence to make this trip, and didn’t want him to feel guilty. “I can stay for a week, maybe a little longer. I’ll pack for that.”

While Jen did that, Richie was on the phone to the airlines, adding Jen to his reservation. There wasn’t an adjacent first-class seat on his flight, so he changed his flight to a later time, and arranged for the car he had hired to come a few hours later as well. They spent the afternoon cuddled together, watching old movies on TV, until it was time to leave for the airport.

“Did you take your Xanax?” Richie asked, as he and the driver packed the bags into his rental.

“I’m going without today,” Jen answered as she opened her door.

“Really?” Richie asked. They got settled in the car Richie tucked Jennifer under his arm.

“Yeah; I figure if we’re going to make this work, I’m going to have to spend a lot of time on planes.” Jen smiled warily. “I’d rather not have that mean that I spend a lot of time doped up. I don’t like feeling all loopy.”

“I like you loopy,” Richie said, leaning over to give her a smacking kiss. “You let me take care of you when you’re loopy. You’re too damned independent sober.”

Jen laughed and patted Richie’s knee. “Poor baby.”

They made it to the airport in record time, and were dropped off right in front of the terminal. They were checked in and ensconced in the first-class lounge in less than half an hour.

“There is something to be said for traveling first class,” she said, raising her glass of Diet Coke in salute.

Richie clinked his bottle of water against her glass. “You’re telling me.”

When their flight was finally called, they handed their boarding passes to the flight attendant and made their way down the jetway. The closer to the plane’s door they got, the tighter Jennifer’s grip got on Richie’s hand.

As the plane’s door came into view, Richie gently disengaged her hand from his and tucked it under his arm, so she was squeezing his bicep instead. “Just a few more minutes and we’ll be sitting down. Do you want aisle or window?”

“Aisle. Definitely aisle.”

Richie took Jen’s duffel from her and put it in the overhead compartment. Then he settled into his seat and leaned forward so he was blocking the window. When Jennifer sat, Richie raised the arm rest between their seats and cuddled Jen close to him, and she buried her face in his chest.

“I’m sorry for being such a big baby,” she said. “I know this fear is irrational, but I can’t seem to get over it.”

“Don’t even worry about it,” Richie answered. “Maybe in time this won’t be too bad. If it is, we’ll figure something else out.”

The flight attendants made their final sweep of the cabin, instructed everyone to fasten their seatbelts, and went through their takeoff spiel. The plane taxied to the runway, and Jen took a deep breath. As it started down the runway, gathering speed as it went, she held her breath and closed her eyes.

“Breathe, baby,” Richie crooned in her ear. He took her hand in his, and stroked the back of it with his thumb.

When the plane took off soaring over the airport buildings, a curse slipped out from between Jen’s clenched teeth. “Damn, I hate this part.” By the time they leveled off, Richie had lost most of the feeling in his left hand.

“Baby, as much as I want to comfort you right now, I really need my hand for work,” Richie said softly. “Please don’t break it.”

“God, I’m sorry,” Jen answered. “Guess I should have taken a pill. I’m such a wimp when it comes to flying.”

“Lots of people hate to fly,” Richie countered. He leaned in close to whisper in her ear. “I know something you can do that would take your mind off of the fact that you’re in a plane.”

Jen met his eyes and saw the twinkle of mischief in them. She frowned for a moment before the light bulb flipped on. “Rich!” she hissed. “I am NOT joining the mile-high club with you!”

“Who said anything about that? I just meant the hostess cart will be along soon, and you can have a drink. Glad to know where your mind is, though, you dirty girl.”

Blushing furiously, Jennifer buried her head in her hands. “Oh God,” she moaned.

“Are you sure you don’t want to rethink your aversion to sex on a plane?” Richie asked, chuckling at the horrified expression on Jen’s face.

“Quite sure, thank you,” she said. “I don’t even want to think about getting out of this chair and trying to navigate the aisle while the plane is in the air, never mind the acrobatics needed to – no. You’ll just have to wait.” She stuck her tongue out at Richie who quickly captured it in his mouth. He pulled her closer to him, turning the playful nip into a full-fledged kiss.

Long minutes later, Jen broke the kiss with a smile. “Mmmmm,” she said. “Can we do that for the rest of the flight?” she asked.

“Sure thing, darlin’,” Richie answered. “Whatever you want.”

The flight passed blessedly fast and uneventful. When the announcement came over the PA system for everyone to put their seatbacks and tray tables in the upright and locked position, Jennifer heaved a sigh of relief. “That wasn’t too bad. Now all we have to do is not crash.”

Richie chuckled softly. “Darlin’ you’re perfectly safe. I promise.”

When the captain turned off the seatbelt sign, Jennifer needed a minute to get herself together before opening her belt. “Damn,” she said. “I sure am glad that’s over. How long until we get to your place?”

“Not long; there should be a car waiting outside the terminal.”

Indeed, a black Expedition was waiting for them when they emerged. Their bags were stowed in the cargo area, and they climbed into the back seat. Richie handed Jen a bottle of water from a cooler stowed on the floor between their seats, and she drank it greedily, needing only a few swallows. Sighing happily, she snuggled into his side, and watched as California passed by her window. She texted Denise to let her know that she had accompanied Richie home and her friend invited the two of them to her place over the weekend. “Rather than just having lunch with your guy, I’d love to meet you, too,” she had said. “Richie’s daughter is more than welcome, too, if it’s his weekend.”

When they arrived at Richie’s house, Jennifer whistled. “Wow, this is some place. You do alright, Rock Star.” The estate was sandstone and glass, and absolutely perfect for the bluff on which it stood. The massive oak double front doors opened into a huge entry way. A full-sized mummy lurked in one corner of the hall, and faux cobwebs were stretched across the antique mirror over an ancient mahogany table. “Ready for Halloween, are you?” Jen asked, touching the mummy’s arm.

“Nearly,” Richie said, “though I don’t get too many trick-or-treaters.”

“Gee, I can’t imagine why, what with the imposing gates and everything.”

“Look who’s talking! At least my gates won’t shear your car in half if you’re too slow getting through.”

Across the other side of the entryway, giant floor-to-ceiling windows overlooked a beautiful verandah. Beyond that rolled acres of green lawns. In the distance, Jen could see the ocean.

“What a beautiful view,” Jen said, crossing to the windows. She opened one of the sliders and ventured out onto the verandah. The grass looked satiny soft, and she was tempted to take off her shoes and see if it felt as good as it looked. “Does anyone actually use the lawn? It looks too good to be true.”

“I’ll have you know, that is the finest Bermuda grass money can buy, and it is used all the time. My landscapers just do a good job at keeping it up.” He closed and locked the front door behind him and came to stand behind Jennifer. “Want the tour?”

“Absolutely.”

2 comments:

JBJBounce said...

Me too! I wanna tour! Nice chapter, glad she did better with flying this time. Wonder how she'll do on the flight back with no Rock Star to keep her mind otherwise occupied.

Lora said...

I just found this story through your blog. LOVE IT!!!! can't wait for more!!!

(c) 2008 by TheGoddessHathor

This is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post this or any other work found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.